I’ve been MIA this week after being in Florida for a convention for six days, but I’m finally home and ready to talk Friday Favorites! Ironically enough, the first time I saw the sun in six days was when I got off the plane in South Bend, so that takes an honorary first on this week’s list — sunlight. Florida, however, is a decided un-favorite.
Enough complaining, onto the list!
- Low humidity: How do people run in the state of Florida? It’s like 90% humidity 100% of the time. I ran a 5K on Tuesday and it was one of the sweatiest runs of my life. For the rest of my runs I stuck to the hotel treadmill for this very reason. It gets humid in Indiana, but it’s bearable.
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Bucket list item = checked! I took advantage of a free day Sunday and went to Universal for the sole purpose of spending as much time in Harry Potter World as possible (no shame in my nerd game). It’s kind of a racket because you have to pay for two parks if you want the full experience, but I just went “YOLO” and don’t really regret it at all. The sets are spectacular, they’re pumping the soundtrack into the streets constantly and the staff are all dressed in costume. I found out I’m not too good on traditional roller coasters anymore (#oldlady), but the indoor rides (Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, in Hogwarts; Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts) were amazing. Turns out, going to an amusement park by yourself is not terrible at all and, in fact, is preferable to going with a large group. I got to do exactly what I wanted and get out of there when I needed to (crowds). I also did NOT buy a wand because I’m an ADULT. But I did buy a Deathly Hallows keychain. And a Sirius Black mug.
- Kindle library books: Best invention ever. In my quest to read 50 books this year, ebooks have been a lifesaver. Free ebooks are even better. Yes, I prefer paper books, but the efficiency of digital is key in getting as many books read as possible this year. Plus, ebooks are preferable while traveling because you can load it all onto one device. I just finished The Handmaid’s Tale (#depressing) and picked up This Side of Paradise, which is No. 24.
- A week out of the office: Yes, the convention I attended was work-related, but never underestimate the power of not sitting at your desk for a week.
- Being home in my own bed: However, I am a homebody and there is no piece of furniture in the world that is as comfortable as my bed. I am so happy to be home in it.
- Aerie sales: I should not be shopping. But I kind of needed a new bathing suit, and it was only $30 for top AND bottom, so how can you pass that up? Plus, who can turn down a good 7 for $27.50 undies sale? I mean, come on. (They have a different swimwear sale going on now, but you can check it out here. Their undies sale is now 6 for $26).
- Charity Miles: I’d heard of Charity Miles before, but never put it into practice until recently. Simply track your runs on the app and a sponsor will donate to the cause of your choice (I’ve been running for the National Parks and ASPCA).
- Orange Is The New Black: OITNB is back! No spoilers because I’m only six episodes in, but this season is proving just as binge-worthy as the previous four.